One of the reasons I write this stuff is that it's been difficult to find practical advice on coping with a spouse's residency. There's plenty from the Touchy-Feely School:
- Take a bubble bath.
- Pursue your own interests.
- Remember that it's all worth it.
- Bubble bath? A cold shower would be more appropriate, since the attendings frown on conjugal visits.
- I have time for my own interests, but my main interest is awake at home for less than 90 minutes a day.
- John's future earnings mean little in the here-and-now of $10 per hour and six-figure debt.
SunTrust Bank: Refinance your credit card debt. I wish I'd known about this three years ago.
ACGME: Report duty-hours violations to the appropriate Residency Review Committee.
Check out the Resident Physicians' Antitrust Class Action, AMSA and HoursWatch. Residency sucks, but there are ways to make it suck less. Take care of your finances. Report violations. Spread the word.