John Edwards wants us to know he is a man of heart. He has stood against "armies of lawyers," to help families through the "darkest moments of their lives." He is a "champion of quality healthcare," a trial lawyer who will hold lawyers responsible for their role in escalating healthcare costs, by "preventing and punishing frivolous lawsuits."
What he doesn't mention is that he amassed a substantial personal fortune by winning the sorts of lawsuits that most doctors would classify as "frivolous," and in doing so he has, along with many of his colleagues, done much to undermine the quality of healthcare.
This jackass and his ilk are the reason many OB-GYNs have dropped obstetrics, and other physicians are retiring early or moving to states with caps on economic damages. For those
raging asswits politicians who whinge about lack of access to healthcare, a lesson in basic economics:
- Sue the bejesus out of physicians, on shaky scientific ground.
- Watch as health care costs rise.
- Fail to acknowledge the connection between steps 1 and 2.
- Bloviate about the rising costs of healthcare.
- Fail to acknowledge your role in aforementioned clusterfuck. You, too, Teddy.
- Eat shit and bark at the moon. Well, that's just a suggestion, not actually part of the process.
N.B. In spite of this post and the one below, I don't actually hate lawyers. Hell, I even wanted to be one once. I just hate predatory, dissembling, opportunistic, scum-sucking pigs.